Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rescue Me, O Lord A devotion by Ann Elaine Broughton



“Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me” (Psalm 71:2 NIV).

   Are there times when the storms of life seem to engulf you so much that you have no hope? Let me tell you about the disciples’ trip on a boat and how they learned rather quickly that Jesus is the one who can calm the storms.
   The disciples went on a little boat ride on the Sea of Galilee. The Sea of Galilee is 680 feet below sea level and the mountains that surround it are over 2000 feet high. So when the cool air from the mountains meets the warm air of the sea a strong storm can occur. One such storm occurred without warning while the disciples and Jesus were crossing the sea. (Matthew 8:23-27) The waves were being swept over the boat. Jesus was sleeping during this whole event.
  I have been on a boat on Lake Erie when the waves were pretty high.
I can’t even imagine sleeping with the waves rocking the boat like that. It would be twice as bad if there was a storm with thunder and lightning. But you see Jesus knew the source of His strength. He had spent enough time in prayer talking to God so that He could remain at peace in any situation. So when the disciples woke Him up and declared that they were going to drown if He didn’t save them, He gave them a lesson on faith. First, He rebuked them and asked them why they were afraid. After all the miracles they witnessed, they still didn’t believe that Jesus had Godly power. Jesus rebuked the winds and waves and everything became calm. The disciples were amazed. Are you?
    So if you have faith in God, you should know that God will help you during your storms of life. These storms can be from within you or brought on by others who have left you reeling with hurt and sadness.
But you see God is bigger than all the storms that envelope you in life. He is the one who can calm your soul in ways that nobody else can.
It is so important to pray and ask Him to help you when you are in the midst of terrible doubts. He will erase your fear and give you peace.
Dear Lord,
I know that the storms of life will surround me, but I know that you are bigger than these storms and can still my soul. Help me not to be afraid, but to have the faith to know that you will never leave me or forsake me when my life is tossed with despair and fear.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perseverance: A devotion by Ann Broughton

“ And not only this, but we also exult in tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance proven cha...