Monday, June 12, 2017

Press On: a devotion by Ann Broughton



But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3: 13-14 NIV).

Are you pressing on in your faith or are you stuck looking in the past and wishing you could have a “do over”? Have you ever watched someone running in a marathon? Did you notice that they are always looking forward to that next mile and finally the finish line? If they kept looking backwards they would most likely bump into someone else and fall down. Not to mention their speed would be compromised a lot. So you see in our lives we need to let go of our past and move ahead with our eyes set on Christ. Give Him all those hurts from your past and let Him carry them. He wants you to move on to be His witness to others so that they will be able to cross the final finish line of life with hope.

Our lives are not like writing on a computer, where we can delete the last sentence we did not like. What is done in our lives is done. If we have hurt someone, we need to say “I am sorry,” and move on. If we have been hurt by someone we need to forgive them or Jesus will not forgive us. “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins” (Matthew 6:14-15 NIV).

The most important thing to remember is that Christ is with you and will help you to move on. Let it go. If you cannot fix it, then give it to God and trust Him. The most important thing you need to remember is that God loves you. He does not want you to wallow in self-pity, but He wants you to be filled with His peace.
If you are noticing that you sit around bemoaning your past, stop it. Pray that God will give you a new vision of what He wants you to be. Look around for opportunities to help others. Read the Bible and let God’s words wash over your soul. He wants you to keep moving forward with faith to His high calling. You have a purpose that nobody else has. It is time for you to let go and let God.

Dear Lord,
Help me to press on with faith knowing that you have forgiven me of all my past sins. I give you my past and surrender all of my hurts onto you. Now help me to run the race for you with your purpose set before me. Help me to keep my eyes on you and not on my past. Help me to keep my eyes on the ultimate goal; heaven.
In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perseverance: A devotion by Ann Broughton

“ And not only this, but we also exult in tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance proven cha...