Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Do Not Be Afraid: A devotion by Ann Broughton




I sought the Lord at all times, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4 NIV).

Is there something you fear? Fear can help you if you are in real danger, because it brings forth a rush of adrenaline to save yourself, but fear about something you cannot control such as the future will end up making you very ill from the stress. If your body is always in a state of fight or flight, you will get adrenal fatigue and become very ill. If you let worry and fear dominate your thoughts a real health hazard can occur.

Jesus wants you to trust Him with your fear, especially if it is keeping you from serving Him. Whenever I am needlessly afraid, I remember David and Goliath. David was not afraid of Goliath even if he was nine feet tall. Goliath told them to send one man to fight him and if he won the Philistines would serve them. David was just a boy, but he knew that God was with him. He set forth with his sling and five stones to meet the giant. The giant taunted him, but David was not afraid because he had great faith in his mighty God to help him. I love what David said, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord” (1 Samuel 17:45 NIV). David ran towards his enemy, spinning his sling and then threw the stone right in the middle of the forehead of the giant, killing him.

When you are facing a fear that keeps you from living a life of peace that God wants you to have or a fear of serving God in some way, remember David. Approach it with the same words. “I come against you fear in the name of the Lord. I give this fear to the Lord, knowing He will help me to stand with confidence knowing “God is love. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment” (1 John 4:16, John 4:18 NIV) “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control” (2 Timothy 1:7 ESV). God wants you to face your fear with his might and power. God is with you just as he was with David.

Dear Lord,
I give you my fear knowing that you want me to trust you to give me the strength to accomplish your will. Help me to step out in faith, just like David, and know that I can do all things through you who gives me strength.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Perseverance: A devotion by Ann Broughton

“ And not only this, but we also exult in tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance proven cha...