Saturday, July 14, 2018

Walk Humbly: a devotion by Ann Broughton



He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8 NIV).

Are you humble? Do you often show compassion to others who are suffering? Being humble does not come naturally. I think we are born with an innate selfishness. As a teacher, I can tell you that little children want their way a lot. It is interesting to watch them line up for recess. They all argue about who is going to be first. You see each one of them think that they should be number one. It is rare to see a child let someone ahead of them in line. I believe we are all geared to think of ourselves as more important than anyone else. This is why Jesus said, “But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first” (Matthew 19:30 NIV).

God wants you to be humble. He wants you to care for others and put their needs before your own. I am constantly reminded of what Jesus said in regards to helping others. “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me” (Matthew: 25:34-36 NIV).

Dear Lord,
Help me to be humble. Help me to remember that your ministry was one of servitude, and that I am to be your servant on earth. Let me see through your eyes, and show your love and care to others.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Perseverance: A devotion by Ann Broughton

“ And not only this, but we also exult in tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance proven cha...